Samuel2 Terrill to Brookhaven, 1680-1685
By Nancy Tyrrel Theodore, October 2009
Samuel2, the fourth child and second son of Roger1 and Abigail (Ufford) Terrill, was on the move again.
Samuel was baptized 31 October 1647 in
Click here to see accompanying map
Although the records in
The documents referenced in this article (with bold blue dates) are from Book B of the records of the Town of
Click here to see transcriptions of the sixteen Samuel2 Terrill records.
Brookhaven wanted a blacksmith, and Samuel was their man. On 28 October 1680, Samuel accepted the offer, made by "the constable and overseears" of Brookhaven, to leave
Let's put Brookhaven, it's history and geography in context. Brookhaven, is the largest township on
The first purchase of land for Brookhaven was made in 1655 from the Setalcott Indians by a party of six pioneers. Soon a New England-style community, Setauket, with about 55 original planters, was established on the north side of Brookhaven. Each of the original settlers had a home lot and a further allotment of meadow and was free to purchase more land, although the purchase had to be confirmed by town meeting.c
Near Setauket is "Little Neck" (now called Strong's Neck),d and Old Field which is northwest of Setauket on
As part of his plans for the move to Brookhaven, on 28 October 1680, "Joseph daves haue sould unto Samull Turell now of est
What is especially noteworthy about these two documents besides telling us that Samuel agreed to move to Brookhaven and where he was to initially set up shop, is that besides blacksmithing, he raised or traded in sheep, and traded in whalebone and whale oil. Quite an industrious fellow.
Samuel next turned that industry toward his move to Brookhaven. On 28 March 1681, Andrew Miller of Brookhaven conveyed to Samuel his dwelling house, and five acres of land adjoining the house, bordering the
On 2 April 1681, at a Brookhaven town meeting, the constable and overseers voted that Samuel shall have his twenty acres of land, "that is to say 5 acres in the little neck and the Rest maad up where it can be found convenient," as indeed he was settling in Brookhaven before their mid-April deadline. They also gave Samuel much more latitude insofar as his choice of land by designating 15 acres as "where it can be found convenient." Robert Goulsbery sold Samuel a three-acre lot of land in the "ould feeld," at the side of Thomas Thorps, on 24 May 1681.
On 25 May 1681, John Roe sold his fifteen-acre lott at Mount Misery [Belle Terre] to Samuel, but a note written in the margin of this record says: "this Record of John Roe is made voyed and of noe efeckt." Since the town had final say on land transactions, perhaps they didn't approve Roe's proposed sale to Samuel. Or, more likely, Samuel didn't want to extend his lands to the northeast which is where
It's apparent that Samuel was looking elsewhere than the northern Setauket area of Brookhaven. By a deed of 29 April 1682, Thomas Biggs, Jr. "sould and exchanged" to "samuell Turell" his 15 acre lot and meadow at the south side of the
The year 1682 was undoubtedly sad and momentous for Samuel in another way. His father, Roger, died in
On 17 June 1683 "Samuell Terell" witnessed in Brookhaven a deed of Thomas Thorp of
On 1 December 1683 "Samuell Turell" made an article of agreement with "Robart Goulsbery" for the exchange of lands. Goulsbery exchanged his upland and meadow at "ackembameck" [Acombamack] g on the south side of the
On 3 December 1683 John Jeners sold to Samuel his 15 acres of upland at the "south at ackambameck nomber 45."
Samuel and Robert Goulsbery finalized their article of agreement on 12 December 1683. Samuel's deed to Goulsbery was signed by both "samull Turell with a seale," and his wife "Abegell Turell with a seale." This is the first mention of a wife for Samuel. Are we assume then that they were just married, although Goulsbery's deed to Samuel of the same date was also signed by "his wife hanah goulsbery."
Goulsbery's deed also offered to give Samuel a "fermer" deed if needed by "any counsell att law." Evidently, there was a need for that firmer deed, as on 1 January 1683/84, "Robart goulsbery" and "hanah goulsbery" drew up a satisfaction of Indenture document again stating clearly that "samuell Turell" blacksmith did own all Goulsbery's "massauge and dwelling house together with all my lands and meadowes lying and situatted upon ackembameck neck at the south siede of long Island,".... bounded on the east by Jonathan Rose's land, on the south by the sound or bay, on the west by land formerly belonging to John Jeners now owned by Samuel [number 45], and to the north by the commons, in all the three lots numbered 42, 43, and 44, the three lots being more or less fifty five acres.
On 8 February 1683/84 Robert and Hanah Goulsbery sold to Samuel a half commonage that Goulsbery had of Samuel Fancy from his father William Fancy. Hannah Goulsbery's maiden name was Fancy. The widow Katherine "Goody" Fancy, an original grantee of Brookhaveni named Hanah Goulsbery as her daughterj. Further, Samuel Fanshaw (Fancy), Hannah's brother, left his "whoele astaete in lands within the presincks of brookehaven," by his will of 29 June 1682,k, to Robert and Hannah Goulsbery who had cared for himl and he made Robert the sole executor, as well. Goulsbery died sometime after 8 February 1684 and before 5 June 1684, when David Jenens declared that he "haue maried the widow hanah goulsbery being formerly the wife of robart goulsber deseaser."
In a deed of 23 December 1684, we find that "peter whietheatre John Tooker Junior and hanah was formerly the wiefe of Robart goulsbery and now the wiefe of daved genens," were named as the trustees and administrators of Goulsbery's estate, and that they deeded to Hanah's new husband the dwelling house with the home lot that was Andrew Miller's, and after that was "samuell turells with the shop that samuell turell bult."
So, matters were finally settled for Samuel's land transactions. Just exactly where were Samuel's lot numbers 17, 42, 43, 44, and 45? They were a part of the "Old Purchase at the South" and are today called Bellport, Brookhaven Hamlet (or Village), and the western part of South Haven. Soon after Setauket purchased this land from the Unkechogue Indians in 1664, the land was divided into 49 meadow shares, valuable for salt hay and offshore whaling. The lot numbers ran from east to west.m In 1676, Setauket voted to add 15 acres of upland to each of the 49 shares, and a trickle of settlers started taking up residence.
Deeds on record in the County Clerks Office in Riverhead show that lot 17 was in Brookhaven Hamlet a little north of the bay. Meadow lots 42, 43, 44 and 45 were in Bellport which is situated on the northeast side of Fire Place Bay, now Bellport Bay, on the Great South Bay.n This move south to the bay area afforded Samuel opportunities other than blacksmithing.... whaling, which he involved himself in when living in Easthampton. Although no whaling record was made for Samuel in Brookhaven, it's possible he again participated in whaling, as his property was located directly on the bay. And, John Jeners, from whom Samuel purchased lot number 45 in December of 1683 (and who widow Hanah Goulsbery married less than three months after Robert died) was involved in whaling. On 8 September 1683, Jeners engaged Indians to "goe to sea the next whale season."o
On "1 Jenury 1684," that is to say 1684/85, Brookhaven town records show that "Samuell the Sonne of Samuell Turell was born... which was born upon his wiefe abegell."p This is the only known recorded birth of a child to Samuel and Abigail although Samuel's petition of 1698 refers to six small children.
We hear of Abigail again on 29 April 1685, when "Abegel Turrell" of Brookhaven entered into an agreement with "benJemen gould" also of Brookhaven, to keep and look after his 7 month old daughter with sufficient meat, drink, washing and lodging for 28 weeks for five shillings a week "with the consent of her husband." And, Samuel, not Abigail, signed this agreement. Abigail was given a cow and a yearling calf "now in her husbands possessian" evidently as a down payment. But, Gould made it plain that he could "fetch" away the remaining part of the seven pounds due if he found a nurse for the child.
It can be assumed that Gould's wife was either very ill or had died. Since little Mary was 7 months old at the time of this agreement, her mother might not have died of childbirth, an all too common occurrence of the times. Sadly, it was recorded in the Brookhaven town records that "mary the daughter of benJemen gould died the 18 day of Maij [May] 1685 being in the possession of samuel Turell an she was buer[ied] the 19 day of maij." q
Brookhaven town records show that Gould had established his residence in the "south" in 1679. Gould, a weaver, purchased two fifteen acre lots in the Old Purchase at the South, number 14 from Henry Rogers,r and number 15 from Thomas Ward.s So, Gould was a neighbor to Samuel and Abigail who had lot 17, although they may have resided at Goulsbery's former dwelling located somewhere on lots 42, 43 and 45 on ackembameck neck," or Bellport. As Abigail was engaged by Gould in 1685, until he found a "nurse," did this mean wet nurse? Was Abigail helping Gould because she was already nursing little Samuel, or was a health-care nurse meant? At this distance we can only wonder.
Next.... Samuel's move to Yamphank.
a Records of the Town of
b Historical and Descriptive Sketches of Suffolk County, and its Towns, Villages, Hamlets, Scenery, Institutions and Important Enterprises with a Historical Outline of Long Island, from its First Settlement by Europeans, by Richard M. Bayles, Port Jefferson, L. I., Published by the Author 1874, page 223.
c A History of Long Island From Its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time, by William S. Pelletreau,Vol. II, The Lewis Publishing Co.,
d "Near Setauket is Strong's Neck—Little Neck as it was formerly called. It was once a favorite seat of the Indians. The principal part of the neck was bought from the red men by
e Ibid. page 158 Nesaquake ".... a locality mentioned in an order issued by Gov. Nicolls, concerning the Smithtown boundary in 1670, viz.: 'Declaring and offering to prove that ye Nasaquake lands lay on both sydes of ye Ryver, and that parts lyeing in ye west syde comonly called Nesaquaque Accompsett did extend as farre as ye fresh pond westward.' "
f Rev. Nathaniel Brewster, the nephew of the Mayflower Elder Brewster, graduated
g "Acombamack: the neck of land on which is situated the [current]
h In colonial times, law generally followed that of the mother country, England (or in some parts of what later became the United States, France or Spain). In the early years of the United States, following British law, women's property was under control of their husbands, with states gradually giving women limited property rights. By 1900 every state had given married women substantial control over their property. New York, 1771: Act to Confirm Certain Conveyances and Directing the Manner of Proving Deeds to Be Recorded: required a married man to have his wife's signature on any deed to her property before he sold or transferred it, and required that a judge meet privately with the wife to confirm her approval." Property Rights of Women by Jone Johnson Lewis.
i Records of the Town of Brookhaven, Book B, 1679-1756, pages. 1-4.
j Ibid. page 68.
k Ibid. page 127.
l Ibid. page 129.
m Images of
n Records of the Town of
o Records of the Town of
p Ibid. page 3.
q. Ibid. page 3.
r Ibid. pages 94 and 95.
s Ibid. page 93.
t. The accompanying map is from the 1857 J.H. Colton & Co. Travellers map of Long Island, which can be found in the Library of Congress's digital map collection.
Note: The device at the top of the article is the Original Seal of the Town of