Milford Land Records for Thomas Ufford

(LDS Film #4918)

Transcribed by Nancy Tyrrel Theodore, July 2009

All highlighted and underlined items in this article are links
to original documents (PDF files of size 1.5 to 1.8 MB)

1646

Volume 1, Page 78:

Home Lotts

Thomas Uffoote hath four acres bee it more or less being bounded with a high way to the East, James Pruddens to the North the Common to the West, and South.

Volume 1, Page 84:

West Field the Meadow Shott

Thomas Uffitt hath tenn acres be it more or less, being bounded with a high way to the North, with James Pruddens on the East with the meadow and John Baldwins on the South, and with George Hubbards and George Clarks to the West.

Volume 1, Page 87:

Thomas Uffoot hath tenn Acres be it more or less, being bounded with a high way East, and South, with James Pruddens, North, and with the Common West.

Volume 1, Page 96:

Thomas Uffoot hath nine acres and a halfe be it more or less being bounded with the Sea South, with James Pruddens South East, with a high way North, and with meadow Reserved in the towns land on the West.

Volume 1, Page 98:

Thomas Uffoote hath one acre and a halfe be it more or less, being bounded with the River West, with George Hubbards North, with a Creek East, and with John Birdseys on the South: (Note) this is not to be Charged with Rates:

Volume 1, Page 99:

Thomas Uffoot bought of John Birdsey one acre of Meadow lying in the New Meadow be it more or less, and three Roods more lying to the South of it in the Meadow in all one acre and three Roods, bee it more or less, being bounded with the River west, with his own Meadow North, with a Creek East, and with John Fletchers South: (Note) three Roods of this is not to be Charged with rates:

1648

Volume 1, Page 104:

Thomas Uffoot bought of Samuell Coley one acre of Land lying in West field the Creek Shott, bee it more or less, bounded with a high way West, with John Roggers North, with the River East, and with John Burwells on the South.

1649

Volume 1, Page 108:

Thomas Uffot hath for his Second Devision of Meadow two acres and four Pole be it more or less lying in the Oyster Meadow, bounded with a Creek East, with Widdow Lawrances North, with the Common West, with George Hubbard South.

Thomas Uffot hath for his halfe Devision of Land Tenn acres and for Satisfaction for his home Lott, one Rood whereof, five acres one Rood bee it more or less, lyeth on Dreadfull Swamp plaine with a high way East, and South with John Lanes West, with the Comm[on] North, Another Parcell Containing five acres, and to Equall it to [other] Land, one acre and one Rood, in all Six acres and one Rood, bee it more [or] less, lyeth on the New Meadow plaine bounded with a high way East with John Baldwins South, with the Common West, with Nathaniell Baldwins [North] (Note) one acre one Rood for Satisfaction is not to be Charged with Rates.

Volume 1, Page 109:

Thomas Uffot bought of Nathaniell Baldwin the above named parcell of land lying in the New Meadow Plaine with the appurtenances thereunto belonging.

Undated

Volume 1, Page 165:

Thomas Uffit bought of Nathaniell Baldwin one parcell of Land Containing tw[o] acres and three Roods, bee it more or less, Lying ye fence Shott, bounded with Henry Stonills North and South, a high way East, with Widdow Beard North.

Volume 1, Page 166:

Thomas Uffit bought of Thomas Baker [illegible] property of his house homelott Upland and Meddow Lying in Milford or appurtenances thereunto belonging or appertaining to the [same].

1659

Volume 2, Page 47:

Towne Meeting January 11th 1659

Wherein town men were chosen to sieze the land which is to be laid out to the towne namely Thomas Uffot Thomas Welsh Senior Clarke Sargt: Fowler Thomas Wheeler John Baldwin Senr and John Stream. Item it is ordered these siezers shall have for their pattern To size all the rest of the land by five and six acres of the best of Jesper Gunns lott at the heither side of it.*


“Size” is meant.

*History of Milford, Connecticut 1639-1939, Federal Writers Project, page 14: As all of the land was not equally desirable, the lots were “sized” according to value; if a piece of land were rocks or a long distance from the homelot, the settler who received it was given a larger portion than the man who received a piece of well-watered, easily accessible bottomland.”